Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Quickest I Idea I've Got



Hello Ladies,
I hope this idea works out. Thanks Marilee for setting up the blog. It might be good if an email goes out every time someone posts, just as a reminder to check it-I'll work on that. Kedra asked for quick so this is something I do about once a week (or more now) that is fast. First, on Saturday, cook a big batch of wheatberries or barley or something, and freeze it in serving size containers (ziplocks or tupperware or whatever) and then buy a Riceroni, Pastaroni, or my newest favorite (and the quickest) Lipton Sides (rice or noodles, they're usually by the Riceroni in the supermarket, there's a picture of the package on the link). Then add the wheat, and maybe some frozen or fresh veggies to it (I like the Costco frozen mixed veggies, or just frozen peas, or fresh mushrooms maybe if you get the stroganoff flavor), and serve. The Lipton Sides take 7 minutes to cook. It is a very fast meal, if not very gourmet. Then you can eat it with salad or fruit or bread or whatever, it's just a vehicle for wheat, which makes it more filling. Lipton Sides have been a staple at our house since Thomas was born. Anyway, you can give it a try if you want. Last night I had falafel and couscous for guests, which was also really quick (I'll post the recipe for the morocan couscous sometime)- I think you all got an idea of how to make falafel (can be found in the kosher Jewish section or the bulk foods section at most grocery stores), so that was my idea for the week, but it would still take about 30+ minutes to do both (I think you could do falafel in less than 30 min by itself though). So Lipton is my quick idea for this week. Have fun!

No comments: