Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sausage Pie with Cornbread Crust

Hello sisters, guess everyone is really busy lately. Kedra seems to think all of my recipes sound gross, but I wouldn't post them if I thought they were gross, and I've tried them all. So there. Well, I bought some Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage patties at Costco a while ago and they were really good in this recipe. I also had all the other stuff on hand so it was an easy meal (I always have cornmeal around for polenta-another easy meal, see adriasrecipes.blogspot.com). You need:

  • 1lb sausage (I used mashed up veggie sausage patties as I said before- I'll bet ground beef would also work
  • 1 cup wheatberries cooked
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 bell pepper chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped
  • 1 can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
Cornbread Topping: (The next time I make this casserole I will double the topping recipe.)
  • 2/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup milk or soymilk
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook sausage, onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic in a skillet 8 to 10 min. If using real meat, cook until done all the way through and then drain it.
  3. Add wheatberries, corn and tomatoes, 5 more minutes.
  4. Stir all topping ingredients in a bowl until blended.
  5. Spoon sausage mixture into a deep casserole, and spoon the topping over it evenly.
  6. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Sofia D. Hoiland said...

We love the Morningstar Breakfast Sausages! You can add them to anything. Have you tried the Barilla Plus? I hope you are doing well Adria, we start attending the Gabriel Park ward in January, maybe we'll see you at the branch before then.