Friday, August 1, 2008

Red Curry

I am finally adding my favorite Thai recipes. I hope you guys use them. We keep all the ingredients on hand and cook Thai food very often, which is probably a bad idea because I hear coconut fat is pretty bad for you, but it is so delicious and so much cheaper than restaurants.

This recipe doesn't really have a recipe, you just add everything to taste, but this is my best estimate.

3 Tbsp. red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1-2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1-2 Tbsp. palm or white sugar
5 kaffir lime leaves
fresh basil
1 or 2 chicken breasts
Vegetables, if desired - bamboo shoots, eggplant, zucchini, etc.

Cook curry paste with a little coconut milk in wok. Add fish sauce, sugar, and tear up kaffir lime leaves. Add chicken and more coconut milk to taste. I usually don't add the whole can of coconut milk. Taste as you add it. The more milk you add, the less spicy it is, but if you add too much you can lose the color and flavor. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Add vegetables. Add basil at the end. Eat with jasmine rice (definitely worth the money - it makes the house smell wonderful and it tastes so good).

No comments: